Re: Purina Athlete

I used Purina Athlete many years ago for one of my best(but hardest
keeping) endurance   mares .. She was a top five athlete, but  couldn't
keep weight on  even if she WASN't  ridden--she'd apend a lot of time on
her own "Tevis" trail that she'd made in her big pasture.  Her
metabolism was always "UP".

So--ridden or not, Purina Athlete was the ONLY thing at that time that
could keep weight onl her.  I never had any trouble, (and did feef a
LOT) but mixed it also with bran and regular COB(not molasses).

It is interesting to note that later, when I retired her to a broodmare,
she kept wieght on much better pregnant(much to my surprise) which leads
to some interestilng thoughts--even though I had had her throughly
checked many times, perhaps she had some kind of hormone problem the
vets didn"t know about then(in the 7l0"s and 80"s) and might now?  I
still wonder.  She's 27 and just had a beautiful filly for a friend( by
a son of Bezatal-)-she's a grand old endurance mare and a good mother
too!!  Maureen