first aid/ medical kit

Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 09:59:40 -0800 (PST)
From: Mia Nalias <arabs2go@yahoo.com>
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: First aid/medical kit for rides

I'm looking to stock up a good travelling horse medical kit to keep in
the trailer for rides this year. One of the better ones I've seen was
a large plastic (rubbermaid?) tool box with some things in the upper
tray and bigger stuff underneath.
What do you folks recommend for 1) the box, and 2) for content?
thanks,
Mia
Hi Mia,
 I took a Equine First Aid Care & Emergency Care class about two years
ago at an area college. The instructor gave us this list which I will
pass on to you. By the By her husband is a veterinarian, so the list is
large.
twitch                           KY jelly - keep tissue in good form
thermometer                      roll or sheet cotton (2 or 3)
stethoscope                      vetwrap (4 to 6 rolls)
hemostats                        polo or leg wraps or ace bandages
hoof knife                               (4 to 8)
scissors                         2 ice packs that you "break"
pliers                           1 bottle of 1 gram bute granules
wire cutters                     banamine paste or banamine granules
nippers                          promace agranules
duck tape                        surgical scrub (novalsan or betadine
carpet squares (4 to 8 triangles)                        diluted 1:9)
saran wrap                       triple antibiotic (neosporin or
clippers with size 40 blades                        furazone)
3-5 azium packets                DMSO
hemostatic agent to clot blood (can use flour)
clean towels                     Cut heal/Quick heal

Hope this helps. Julie
clean bucket (preferably with a lid)
adhesive tape (keep in plastic bag)
epsom salt - rubber bucket