Re: mare lines/long

One thing I have noticed in lots of the breeding going on in the States is
lack of quality in the mares as well as stallions.  Obviously there are some
exceptional individuals out there but when one keeps seeing the same front leg
fault or whatever in the offspring then I keep asking myself why are they
breeding the beasts for anyway.  We have one breeder in our area and we refer
to the "lead and feed" horses while another had a breeding program on a very
small scale but to own a horse of that breeding is a privilege.  While other
countries have standards for the horses both male and female to measure up to
here it seems the only prerequisite is that they either be equipped with
"balls" or "uterus."  Legs, disposition, etc., are over looked.  It's easy to
see on the endurance trail which lines stay sound and which don't but far too
many end up as decoration or on the trash heap.  I remember picking a
beautiful 3/4 Arab gelding because he had lovely eyes never mind the calf
knees.  Needless to say before it was all over I had lots of respect for
"legs" after the fact and now lots of times I won't ever get above the knees
in evaluating a horse.  I see this in all breeds in my area.  I realize it is
really hard to be honest about your own horse but we really need to be.  I
have a friend who never bred her mare even though she went into her 20's
because of her front legs.  That I respect. Just some food for more
discussion.  Lovell