Re: To Carbo or Not to Carbo??

In a message dated 1/3/99 2:39:47 PM Pacific Standard Time, darkcat5@yahoo.com
writes:

<< The vet checks were to short to do any good for re fueling for
 the didstance inbetween wothout a crew. >>

The vet checks can be just as long as you need if your horse needs to eat!
Since getting more roughage on board is SO important, I would be more inclined
to advise you not to leave a check as long as your horse is eating (within
reason--with one of my horses, we would be there for hours as he hoovers up
every flake and every blade and every tiny morsel of anything left by every
other horse that was ever there) rather than using quickie carbo products.
The results of getting a good roughage load are more dependable and give you
more steady energy for the remainder of the ride.  Obviously, leaving WITHOUT
fueling ended in a noncompletion in your case, so what do you have to lose in
staying a bit longer?

Heidi Smith, DVM