To Carbo or Not to Carbo??

That seems to be the question..Thanks for the info
pro and con..I think I had the perfect situation
for the use of some fast energy..The ride I went
to was very demanding...deep sand which my horse was not used to..He
was a hairy northern horse, partially
clipped in 80o heat (also a energy drainer) No pit
crew, not a blade of grass or water on trail, and a 87
miles we quit, because he was just plain hungry and
tired..The vet checks were to short to do any good for re fueling for
the didstance inbetween wothout a crew.
As far as being in condition he was and his legs did
not blow up after from the hard work in the sand..He
would have been tired because of this harder type of
work...but....had he had fuel along the way.. I think
it would have made a huge difference...
Waddya think????Carbo load in this situation????
Debbie (NE) and Ramadi who grabbed my power bar
he was soooooo hungry...