Re: Purina Athlete

In a message dated 1/2/99 7:10:22 PM EST, Olympian06@aol.com writes:

<< 	Hi all....on one of my treks to the feed store I came across a new product
 (new to me atleast) called Purina Athlete.  I have never heard about this
 product and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this food? >>

I have used this product for various horses for two years.  I have found it to
be excellent for putting on weight.  I had competed on a horse several years
ago that started tying up, I discovered Athlete, but was confused by all the
info I was getting on tying up and feeding fat.  I spoke to many, but Dr. Kopp
(Southern States Vet) told me this which simplified everything for me:  He
said: "When you are concerned about how much feed you are giving, supplement
with fat."  Now understand, I'm not using this for endurance, per say, I used
it mainly on pregnant ponies who I was concerned with the amount of grain they
were requiring.  I have used it on my endurance mare, but could not see any
difference.  I only do LD, so I may not see any difference.  I love this
product with the ponies though, I am always concerned about founder.  I have
excellent pastures and want the broodmares in excellent shape, this product
helps with the hard keepers, lactating mares, etc.
leigh