Re: Purina products

After reading most of the post regarding  feeds and feed manufacturers, I had
to jump in with my experiences.
I am a confirmed Purina Person. After  45 years of feeding all kinds of
critters, and degree in Agriculture from NCSU, I have come to the conclusion
that Purina is  the best manufacturer of animal  feed. I have tried them all,
usually because of price consideration. I bought some Dixie feed one time and
found chicken feet in the bag. Did you know that some protein in animal feed
is derived from ground up chickens?
I have tried local mills also. The problem with little local mills is that if
for some reason you buy a batch of bad feed from them, they usually can not or
will not  finacially compensate you for your dead animal  or the doctor bills
to treat your animal. Also, th problem with being from the South and using
local mills, these mills buy the corn locally. In the south we have a problem
with Alfatoxin in corn. This fungus is not as common out in the midwest where
there is less humity and wet heat. One speck of alfatoxin will kill your horse
as dead as four o'clock. I like to use Purina products produced in the
Midwest.

I feed Purina feeds to my cats, dogs, pigs and horses.  Purina is a little
higher, but the quality is usually very consistant and the quality control is
much better than local mills.

As example of their accountability: I had only one problem one time with one
bag of feed. I feed Equine Senior to my old 38 year old buckskin. I have owned
him since he was 3 years old. I got a bag that had too many fines in it and he
choked. I got him to the vet in time and he was treated. My bill was 100.00. I
called my feed store and the next day a check for 100.00 was delivered to me.
They thought that maybe the bag had been filled just as a hopper at the mill
had emptied, hence too many fines. They took the unused bag and sent it back
to the mill.

A neighbor  of mine who has a large boarding stable reported 3 horses dieing
of bad feed . He feeds Purina but also feeds from a local mill sometimes. He
could not tell Purina for sure which feed killed the horses, but Purina paid
without hesitation for the three horses. (The three $500.00 horses all of a
sudden were worth $3000.00 to the owners).  So, Purina paid  for these three
animals with no proof that it was even their product that killed them.
Alfatoxin was the cause of death. Nor did they ask for proof of worth of the
animals. I don't think a local mill would have been able or willing to do
this. This is just my opinion and I am sure there are lots of other good
manufacturers.
Ivey