Re: Se levels

In a message dated 98-09-30 10:36:54 EDT, mathew@redhorsetech.com writes:

<< So, in the pursuit of the more recent truth, could I get the location or
 phone of Schering's lab (please, please, please???) Dr. Smith?>>

Can't find their phone number in my file (they used to run the Se tests, but
now refer them to Michigan State--see my website for
address--www.endurance.net/sagehill/, look under the button marked
"Educational Tidbits" for selenium article) but their lab address is 21401 W.
Center Rd., Elkhorn, Neb.  68022.

 <<And she did bring out a very good point I neglected to mention... hard
 working horses (read: endurance horses) need that Se level to be at
 normal or higher (but obviously not in excess) levels for proper muscle
 development and function. >>

Nope, not higher than normal, just normal.  And same is true for broodmares,
breeding stallions, growing youngsters, etc.--selenium is involved in cell
membranes of ALL cells, not just muscles, so has a very profound effect on the
ability of white blood cells to gobble up bacteria, etc.  Also is very much
involved in metabolism of calcium and other minerals, so is very important to
growing youngsters, even before they are born.  We are very deficient here,
and I see a high incidence of contracted tendons, buckled knees, windswept
foals, etc., from selenium-deficient mares.  So it isn't just working horses
that have to be up to par on their selenium!

Heidi