Re: Se levels

CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:

> Actually, most recent work (am quoting from Schering's lab, and I see many
> others are adopting this, too) indicates that normal is .20 to .25 mg/L (or
> 200 to 250 ppb, depending on what units the lab uses to report), and that .15
> to .20 is considered marginal.  I have never seen .065 considered anything but
> deficient, even in earlier days--old figures from Oregon State considered
> normal to be something like .15 or .17 up to .25, and marginal to be something
> like .12 to either .15 or .17....  Clinically, I get pretty concerned if I see
> levels anywhere below .17 or .18 or so.  Horses below that are prone to tying-
> up episodes (if they work), immune dysfunction (especially if they are
> babies), and retained placentas and rebreeding problems (if they are
> broodmares).
>
> Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Interesting... the references I used do range from 1969 to 1983
regarding the Se levels I quoted, and admittingly, thought they were a
wee bit low myself (but hey, those researchers, uhhhh, their *grad*
students, were the ones who got dirty, not me) ;-)

So, in the pursuit of the more recent truth, could I get the location or
phone of Schering's lab (please, please, please???) Dr. Smith?

And she did bring out a very good point I neglected to mention... hard
working horses (read: endurance horses) need that Se level to be at
normal or higher (but obviously not in excess) levels for proper muscle
development and function.  Thank you again, Heidi!

Kim