Re: Spooky Arab, response long

Spooking is very difficult to train out of a horse. It is very natural, their
very survival depends on it. I have had many, many horses in my life,
somewhere around 60! I love arabs and have had more of them than any other
kind of horse. They are almost all spooky at some point in their life, yet,
somehow I end up with a horse I can trust to run out front or alone! My riding
partner was hurt this past weekend at Biltmore just the way you described. We
have been talking about this subject alot since Sat. I have been analyzing
what it is that I do to encourage bravery. Many factors are involved, but one
that I think I have found is "keeping the horse in the box", let me explain.
"The box" is the rectangle formed by the bit, reins and your legs. You must
keep some pressure on all the corners of the box at all times. I'm not talking
about hard pressure or soft pressure, I'm talking about just the right amount
of pressure for your horse. You have to experiment to find the right amount.
Also, humans tend to get angry when they are scared. Horses are able to think
about only one thing at a time.....if he is thinking about the mudhole, and
spooks, then you yell or hit him, he thinks the mudhole was the bad guy. You
MUST keep your cool and ignore the spook the best you can. I do use my voice
to show dissatisfaction, but never punish the horse. Be very aware of your
horse, he usually will show you signs of impending spooking.....if you are
able to listen and understand. Slow down when approaching a spooky object,
allow him time to get more comfortable. This will instill trust that you will
not force him and he will get braver. Know your horses' comfort zone. Stop
before he panics. Slowing or stopping as a spook response is better than
spinning or jumping sideways, by consistant handling him this way and keeping
him in the box, he will become braver, more trusting, and if something does
alarm him, he will be conditioned to slow or stop and look rather than spin.
One more point I failed to fully explain....Keeping him "in the box" offers
your horse support. It makes him feel that you are in control. I think this is
why so often a horse spooks as soon as the rider is totally relaxed. Even
horses who usually do not spook will sometimes spook hard just when the rider
has the least "hold" on him! This form of "conditioned response" will fit in
very nicely with the John Lyons method. It will not interfere with other
techniques you may wish to try. It is an art form that you may not get the
hang of right away, but keep trying. I have started many young horses and made
them brave, nonspookers. I have also retrained many confirmed scardy-cats to
be trustworthy, brave mounts. Try it, you may like what you see.