Re: Spooky Arab, response long

I have had similar success with almost all of my riding horses using those
methods plus lots of wet saddle blankets.  Then came the big spooker, in an
arena, or on the trail.  I have never seen a horse jump that far sideways.  I
needed something more and I found it.  I just got way more relaxed, and
started swinging something, almost anything.  This horse likes people, I can
swing something around his head, I swing my legs like I am walking while
riding, I swing my arms.  It works like a charm, but looks dumb.  So I carry a
very long whip which I casually swing.  I believe the reason this works is
that it keeps just enough of the horses mind focused on the swinging whip, (or
legs or arms or rope) not so much left to look for problems.

Lynge
West