tendon injury question

Hi folks,

Returned yesterday from the Hole-in-the-wall ride in Wyoming.  It was
just georgous, too much so in my case.  I decided to go for the 2nd
day and Grey Moun ended up with a tendon injury on his left hind. I've
got an ultrasound appointment for Thurs and I checked the archives.  A
common recommendation was stall rest.  Can I get opinions on how important
this is?  I am leery of even trying to put Grey in a stall or small pen
as his one "mental" fault is obsessive pacing when confined.  I could
try putting him in an open stall with a pen about 30 ft square with
another horse.  I'll ice him twice a day, and keep the leg wrapped at
least until the ultrasound.  I don't know about giving him any bute -
since he doesn't confine well I don't know if the anti-inflammatory effect
outweighs the pain killing - its probably better if he is reminded that he
has an injury.

Thanks for any advice,
Teresa & Grey (time off sounds good but I want pasture rest)