over reaching

> I don't agree with the lowering the angle of the hind feet to prevent over
> reaching or forging. It's an old fashioned concept that in my opinion has
> been disproved.
**************************
I don't think that you would get any harness horse trainer or farrier to
agree with that concept. I as a veterinarian did harness horse work for
20 years and never heard of that concept to correct forging or cross
firing. We would remove the hind shoes (time permitting) letting the
walls wear naturally then reset accordingly. These type problems are man
made and resolve themselves when the natural arc of the foot is
restored. At the thoroughbred track it is almost impossible to do this
as most trainers as well as the shoe tackers( I won't call them
farriers) don't or won't take the time then they try setting the shoe
back or reversing the shoe. I even saw one shoe tacker put a reverse
caulk shoe on a colt in behind with disastrous results.
PUT THE HORSE BACK TO NATURAL.
Carl Meyer