Re: Sierra Club

Heidi Wrote this on Monday:

>>My experience with Sierra Club and other groups who politically profess
to be
"environmentalists" is that they have a tendency to want to shut anyone
out of
the woods who does not fit their personal ideal.  I think most endurance
riders are TRUE environmentalists in the semantic sense of the word--we
care
about our environment and do our best to take good care of it.
Unfortunately
the word has become warped and is now almost synonymous with what seems
to be
a fanatical political religion bent on simply locking up our natural
resources>>

Hikers tend to cut switchbacks. Equestrians, especially those in the
endurance world don't as a rule. Our impact, in that sense, is excellent.

As far as those of us in the endurance community being true
environmentalists, I just don't know. I crewed Tevis this year for my
sister as my horse was lame and couldn't compete. Unfortunately her horse
tied up and needed ringers at Robinson's Flat. We were there long after
the last rider left. I was ashamed and aghast at the condition many crews
left the place once they pulled out. Soda and a few beer  cans littered
everywhere. Plastic bags, tin foil, empty electrolyte syringes laying on
the ground. AND LOT'S OF IT! I realize the Tevis "sweep" and volunteers
would be cleaning it up, but why should it be necessary? Pack your trash
people.

Carrie in Las Vegas

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]