Sierra Club

Thanks to all of those who responded to my questions about environmentalists and endurance riding.  I think my comment about "anti-environmental sentiment" in recent messages was poorly worded; I did not mean to imply that Ridecamp messages had ever appeared anti-environmental (quite the contrary!).  I was referring to negative connotations about environmental groups like the Sierra Club, e.g. members vandalizing trail markings, opposing rides, etc.

From the replies I've received, it sounds as though groups like the Sierra Club have, historically, been vocally opposed to equestrian use of trails but that their opinions may be changing.  It also sounds like some of you have had to deal with the impulsive, dangerous actions of extremists.  Were these actions actually sanctioned by well-known environmental groups like the Sierra Club?  I certainly hope not.

I am going to do some more research and see what my local chapter of the Sierra Club is doing with regard to horses on trails and do what I can to make sure their policies are as well-informed about horses as I can.

It is nice to be a part of a group that promotes educated, responsible use of our nation's parks and trails.

Sheri Kuykendall and Jos
Salt Lake City, UT