Re: Sierra Club

<< What have your experiences been with Sierra Club members and other
environmentalists?  Any environmentalists out there and how do you reconcile
concerns for the environment with your passion for endurance riding? >>

My experience with Sierra Club and other groups who politically profess to be
"environmentalists" is that they have a tendency to want to shut anyone out of
the woods who does not fit their personal ideal.  I think most endurance
riders are TRUE environmentalists in the semantic sense of the word--we care
about our environment and do our best to take good care of it.  Unfortunately
the word has become warped and is now almost synonymous with what seems to be
a fanatical political religion bent on simply locking up our natural resources
because it somehow "feels" good.  (Am not sure HOW it "feels" good--to me it
feels so much better to be able to utilize and enjoy my environment, provided
I leave it well cared for for those who come after me.)  Too many of the so-
called environmentalists would lock our public lands away from everyone, not
caring whether they burn, die of bug infestation, or whatever.  I find that to
be a very uninformed and irresponsible attitude, personally...

Heidi