Re: Sierra Club

Dear Sherri;
It shouldn't be a conflict in my eyes, but it has traditionally been.
Sierra Club has, for years, been against equine use on trails, to the
point of absurdity.  A friend told me a story of someone who was dating
a guy, Sierra Clubber, and they went hiking.  They came across a bit of
manure, and the guy started shrieking, gasping, that the manure was
taking all the oxygen out of his air!  Ridiculous.  There have been
claims that equines trash the environment, the manure is poisonous,
polluting, toxic, disease-spreading, etc.  I use it for growing plants
in my garden.  It decays readily, smells pleasant(much more so than any
other animal's feces), and is actually good for the environment.  I have
never been ill from being around it.
As far as trail decay, in my experience, bikes and motor vehicles do
much more damage, especially when on wet trails.  I do not go out riding
when the trails are too wet to support my horse and me.  It is dangerous
and I have no desire to ruin my trails.  Most riders are of the same
mind:  if you ruin it, you have to fix it yourself or not have the use
of the trails.
Unfortunatly, it seems that the negative, mindless propaganda presented
by some "environmental" groups wins over clear thinking time and time
again.  I do not believe God put this world here to be destroyed by us,
but I do not believe we are supposed to keep it under glass to enjoy it,
either.
What exactly are you referring to by "anti-environmental sentiments"
expressed on ridecamp?  Please do not tell me the harmless surveyor
ribbons that are used as temporary ride markers!  These are put up and
then removed after the ride is over, traditionally, and then the ride is
re-marked the next season.  I do not see where this harms the
environment.
Katee