elevator rides

Joe wrote:
"The reason this happens, is that if you're going to do a 100 mile ride
you need to focus on the full 100 miles, from the start.  If you enter
the 50 thinking that you'll elevate if you and the horse is doing
well, it's hard to focus and pace properly for the 100 -- and the
tendency is, when you're tired at the 50 mile point, to just hang it
up and take those miles.  Whereas if you're entered in the 100 from
the beginning, and you're tired at 50 miles, you suck it up, go back
out and get your second wind."

I fully agree with him here, and I have had the opposite experience.  I
have successfully completed elevator rides, but did not feel at the end
that I had ridden the way I would have had I made the full committment in
the first place, nor did I feel I had been "fair to my horse".  I finally
concluded that if I was not fully confident he could go a certain distance
in advance, I had no business bumping him up to that in mid-ride. Many
horses look pretty perky back in camp with their friends when they think
they're done, but that doesn't mean they should have to go back out.  This
is just my conclusion however--I have had them work for me.

Terre