Re: Elevator rides

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:59:00 -0700, TS <zebella@northrim.net> wrote:

>true, but if you quit at the shorter distance, then you at least  have
>those miles anyhow :)

This points to the reason that elevator rides have fallen out of favor
at distances above 50 miles:  they don't work.

With an elevator, more people stop at the shorter distance and fewer
actually attempt the longer distance than would be the case without
the elevator option.  One result is fewer starting riders for the
longer rides, which are often short of riders in the first place.

The reason this happens, is that if you're going to do a 100 mile ride
you need to focus on the full 100 miles, from the start.  If you enter
the 50 thinking that you'll elevate if you and the horse is doing
well, it's hard to focus and pace properly for the 100 -- and the
tendency is, when you're tired at the 50 mile point, to just hang it
up and take those miles.  Whereas if you're entered in the 100 from
the beginning, and you're tired at 50 miles, you suck it up, go back
out and get your second wind.

Also, when  we were trying 50 - 100 elevators in the SE I heard even
experienced 100 mile riders say they were planning on doing the 100,
but entered the 50 "just in case."  If anything happened to them by
the 50 mile point and they pulled, they were listed as starters in the
50, not the hundred.  That also reduced the number of 100 mile
starting riders.

So, unless you are in a area where you are sure of getting at least
ten starting riders in the 100 even if it's an elevator, the elevator
hurts the ride management and the riders who do enter the 100 -- and
don't really help the riders thinking of trying their first 100.
Because if they start with the 50 they are unlikely to go on to the
100.

I know there are exceptions; I'm talking in general terms.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net