Re: aerc director-at-large nomination

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:22:12 -0700 (PDT), "Pamela M. Corley"
<pcorley@hsc.usc.edu> wrote:

>Would someone explain the director-at-large concept and the history behind
>it.  Why does AERC have this type of representation?  How does being a
>director-at-large differ from being a regional director (are your
>responsibilities to the membership different than a regional director)?

As a former Director-at-Large, I'll give my opinion.

Regional Directors represent the members in their region; At-Large
Directors represent the whole country.  The idea is to assure some
national views on the Board, rather than just parochial interests.

As an interesting illustration of this, one time I was supporting some
rule or policy that I believed was good for the AERC overall, but not
so good for the members from the Southeast (where I then lived).  Some
SE members were taking me to task for this, and one of them said "Who
do you think elected you?"  Even before I could answer Jackie Mitchell
pointed out "The people from California elected him."  Which was
largely true, there were so many more members from California that
without their support I couldn't have been elected, even with the vote
of every SE member!

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net