pioneer award

First I want to thank everyone who has responded on my questions about
blankets/coolers and hay.  You are a very nice and helpful bunch of
folks  :)

I have heard about certain rides qualifying as pioneer events, in fact
the endurance news puts a frame around those events on it's calendar
that qualify as pioneer events.  But I don't know the details of what
allows one to ride in the pioneer category, and what kinds of things
might disqualify a person from riding in this category.  I have
checked the archives for info on this but found nothing specific as to
what one must or must not to do ride in the pioneer category.  Also,
what percentage of rides have such a category?

Thanks, Marilyn and Khal and Scout in San Angelo, TX