Re: Saddle/Back problem

DENISE JOHNSON wrote:

>   I have a back problem, on a 4 year old mare, that
> I hope someone out there may have seen before.  She develops a small
> swelling or bump just behind her withers, adjacent to her spine on
> the left side.

Normally, I'd tell you to have somebody critique your riding to see if
you are sitting more to the right side.  This would pull the saddle over
to the left and cause pressure in that area.  Unless you have had a
recent change in <your> physical condition (hurt back, hip, shoulder,
knee, etc) to change your "way of going", I'd toss this out.  You said
that none of your other horses have the problem.

Did you change where you carry stuff on the saddle, on you, or what you
carry?  Is there more weight on the right?

Have you looked at the horse's development from front, back and above?
IS she overdeveloped to one side?  Is she evenly flexible to the right &
left?  Perhaps she has a problem where she is overdeveloped or less
flexible.  Less flexible may mean traveling cocked to one side.  I could
also see this happening if the horse is trying to spare a sore leg.  Is
she definitely sound?

Just some ideas to think about.

Linda Flemmer