Re: fetlock injury

<<
 Thanks for your answer.  Seif has a ligament injury and has been
 diagnosed with sesamoitis.  Injections of either of Adequan, Hylartil or
 Hyalovit has been prescribed but I do not understand why because those
 drugs are in principle prescribed for joint ailments, not bone or
 ligaments problems.

 However, it seems that you had good results in using Adequan in non
 joint related problems. Do you know if it is customary to prescribe
 Adequan for ligament or bone problems.

I had the same question. I asked Tom Ivers (with the instant message feature
of aol!!!) and he explained to me that result from this type of injury is that
it causes the sesamoid bone to unnaturally press into the joint space of the
fetlock. I know it caused my horse to get articular windpuffs during the acute
phase of injury that she had never had before. Most of the inflamation though
was from the periosteum (bone covering) where the suspensory attaches to the
sesamoid bone. The xray actually showed bony changes in the sesamoid bone.
BTW I believe the sesamoid bone and the navicular bone are closely related in
compostion as there function is the same, as a fulcrum for tendons and
ligaments.  In addition, the fluid in the tendon and ligament sheaths is
composed of the same ingrediants in joint fluid so it would help in that
capacity too. I think I have that right anyway. I will dig up some books to
see if I can find out anything different.

Donna in Altoona