Re: Pre-entering rides

I was part of the ride management team that put on a ride many years ago and I
got to be (actually I drew the short straw!) secretary.  I mandated that there
would be pre-entry and if received after certain date (one week before ride)
then it would be $10 more.  That also covered last minute entries.  Being a
first time ride we didn't know how many entries we would get and couldn't
afford to just "wing it."  We had a generous refund policy (no questions
asked) that was also on the same schedule as the entries.  All refunded if
notified up to one week before then all but $10 after that.  It made life so
much easier than waiting until Friday night to get the packets made up.

I also would like to point out to other RM that not everyone at a ride knows
who you are much less any other pertinent personnel.  Please, always introduce
yourselves at the ride meetings and introduce as many of your team/volunteers
as you can--especially the vets.

Having newbies, LD or 50's, marked in some way is a great idea.  Some are too
shy or hesitant to ask questions or directions and being identified would
alert old timers to be extra helpful in camp and on the trail.  I guess it
would have to optional as some people are easily offended.  First-timers
meetings held before the general ride meeting are a good idea and can
sometimes be hosted by an old timer(s) who you trust as the RM is usually
busy.  If held before the general meeting the newbies can learn what a gate
into a hold means, how a vet check is run, etc.  Then they are enlightened
enough to hopefully be able to ask informed questions at the general meeting.

Once again I will encourage all you newbies to get out and VOLUNTEER for at
least one ride.  It will give you so much information and insight into what it
takes to ride, complete and have FUN at whatever level you wish to ride.  In
the future, as a rider you will appreciate the volunteers and remember what it
was like to be a "newbie volunteer" before you were a "newbie rider"!

Melanie in AZ