RE: Feed formulas and also Strangles vaccines

owensall@sierranet.net WROTE:
The main things to remember when feeding endurance horses is to keep
their weight up(to normal body weight, not really fat) while
conditioning them, and to not feed too high of a diet in protein, which
tends to dehydrate the horse and causes much waste product when feed in
great amounts.  Is your hay grassy or what?...

<Tamara writes>Coastal hay is the only thing available here.  Good quality,
but I'm paying $6.5 a bale (I can only get a few bales at a time right now,
when I can buy in bulk, the price should drop to around $4.5)

...As far as strangles, my horse caught a virus this spring that has laid
him off all year.  He had a residual cough and sore throat that was
difficult to get rid of.  Vet advised strangles vaccine, once a year,
intranasaly....

<Tamara writes>Because of the amount of trailering my horse does, the vet I
was working with(down in Huntsville, TX) had me giving him Strangles vaccine
twice yearly along with EEE/EEW and EHV-4.  My new vet (Dallas TX) says
Strangles vaccine isn't necessary and has too many side effects.  I've never
had side effects before, so I'm a little confused.