Feed formulas and also Strangles vaccines

I've never tried to fit an endurance horse before, so I have some questions
about feed.

I give Wildfire this stuff called Extru-nique 14 from Muenster Milling Co.
It's a high fat, high energy extruded nugget feed formulated for show and
performance horses.

The Analysis reads:
crude protein (min)	14%
crude fat (min)		8%
crude fiber (max)		7.5%
Calcium (min to max)	.8% to .9%
phosphorus (min)		.7%
copper (min)		40 PPM
selenium			40 PPM
zinc				120 PPM
Vit A (IU/LB)		6000
Vit D (IU/LB)		800
Vit E (IU/LB)		65

I feed this at a rate of 6lbs on light work days up to 8lbs on really heavy
work days with about 15 pounds of hay a day, plus Strongid C pellets.  I
don't give any supplements, unless you count horse candy.  He has done well
on this program for a couple of years now, but I don't know a whole lot
about endurance horses and their needs yet.  I was wondering if any of you
more experienced types out there could offer any advise.

Wildfire is a 14yr old (15 next month) grade gelding in excellent health.

Also, does anyone else vaccinate against Strangles?  I've always given
Wildfire, in fact all of my horses that I trailer to different places, a
twice yearly Strangles vaccine.  My new vet says it's a waste of money and
could be dangerous to Wildfire.  Any other opinions?

-Tamara (& Wildfire, who would really rather not have to have the additional
shot.)