LDs

Developing the LD portion of the AERC seems to have a haphazard quality.
And while the BOD has probably spent many hours trying to tussle this to
the ground, the very basis of LD MUST be revisited and an understanding of
how it can evolve, separate from, the issue of endurance riding.

Perhaps take a page from a the AQHA, or anyother breed/sport association,
or affiliation.

Perhaps LD riders should have their own status, ie 'amateur', or even
'novice'. And built from there.

If the AQHA could create all these categories, since they recognized that
the organziation could be very stale if only trainers or PROs rode or
showed. So, they have gained even more members, cause the new poeple aren't
competing with the 'pros' and have their own awards and points and so on.

I think carrying a card that says 'LD' would do a lot for people to really
understand just how they compete; where their concerns lie; and how they
could see the future of THEIR portion of the organization. That would save
a lot of grief with the pot shots about which is what or who's more
important.

And, why not a novice card? With the understanding that you're out of
novice, when, for example, you've done 50 miles? or a year? And yes, they
should pay for the privlidge of belonging to the organization.

Does this mean more paper work? you betcha...more awards? you betcha. Why
not? AQHA has HUGE numbers in its ride program--probably more than ride
endurance.

All I see right now is a big muddy ball that is creating far tooo much
confrontation. You can be fair until you lose sight of what this sport is
about. Change is necessary for any organization and sport to grow. Let's do
this logically and in a way that allows varied opinions to be incorporated
in a meaningful and effective manner.

Just my .02 cents

Monika, Koko and Ripp

Personal PS. Thank you to all ridecampers that have given me such needed
support during this time of grief. I know Don is looking over my shoulder
and saying that if it's important, DO something. On Friday, Don will have
his memorial service. If you take a moment at 2:00 pm, MST for a thought
and prayer to all riders, who loved horses, of all persuation, how have
gone before before, I would be very appreciative.

Thank you.