Re: Pleasure Riders

In a message dated 9/16/98 8:14:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time, horsetrl@ctaz.com
writes:

<< What about time frames for the short rides?  A lot of "pleasure riders" who
 are
 being exposed to the sport in non-sanctioned distances DO NOT go fast.  They
 may
 take the entire day to mosey along and see how the ride is organized for the
 LD
 and Endurance.  (Trail marking, vet checks, feeling of riding actual,
 measured
 miles)  How would you like to greet a potential future endurance rider with,
 "I'm
 sorry, but you are overtime."?  Just a bit of a turn off.
 Janet Baca >>

Janet, in many ways I agree with your viewpoint, However, the one drawback
from the ride managers' standpoint is in regards to vets and personnel.  A
ride manager works with a certain number of personnel, and a VERY slow LD
rider can detain the personnel at a given checkpoint for so long that they are
unable to make it to their next assigned checkpoint.  On our rides, personnel
leapfrog from, for example, vet check 1 to vet check 3 (or 4).  If they are
detained excessively, they may not make it to their next assignment in time
for the first horses to arrive.  That is why we set a time limit for our LD
ride.

Barbara McCrary
Mgr, Castle Rock 50 & Barley Patch 30