Re: Slant Load

Hi Julie,

Ventilation is extremely important for horses, whether stalled or
traveling.  However, since they do not wear safety glasses, Kevlar
hoods/blankets, and are not surrounded by an approved steel tube safety
cage, there is a very real danger to hauling with the drop down windows
open ;-).  Road debris may get kicked up from another vehicle's tires,
I've seen people intentionally throw stuff at horses from cars ahead of
the trailer just to see them "spook" (yes, I got their license plates
too, the buggers!), and blowing rain can be tough on them too.

I am not familiar with the laws, but I couldn't see a problem with
adding "window screens" made of that screen material used in many
daycares windows, family apartments and such which is stronger than
household flyscreen for your windows.  Let's see, I believe it had
strands of wire incorporated in it to prevent easy ripping and add some
extra strength.  I would doubt if regular screen would hold up to
projectiles flying at great speeds.  Hopefully, another ridecamper will
correct/add to this.  I do recall seeing some newer horse trailers using
screen and welded/bolted bars across the window for protection, but I
have never had the pleasure of hauling any of the new trailers ;-).  Any
help, anyone???

Kim (and Lee)