Re: how to make rides more rider friendly?

Tina Hicks wrote:

> After the Big South Fork ride (or pull in my case <g>), I
> was sitting around the camp with several other riders and we
> started wondering what we could be done at SE rides (or any
> rides for that matter) to make things a little less
> intimidating/confusing for newer riders.

> We came up with things like:
>
> 1. Making sure all ride personnel are easily identifiable
> (shirt, bandana, cap, something) as often ride personnel
> look no different than the rest of us.

We did this even at some pleasure rides we put on.  Everybody that
worked had an arm band or a matching club t shirt.  It was easy to see
who to ask for help.  In the past, the ROC gave hats to the workers.  It
needs to be more visible than a sticker that says "HI, My name is***"

> 2. Creating a simple flow chart laminated poster with each
> person/station labeled and where you go from there (i.e.,
> in-timer (you have 30 minutes to get to the next step - but
> want to get there as quickly as you can)-->P/R-->vet (hold
> time clock is ticking now)-->out timer (or make sure out
> time is written on card)-->go rest.)

Great idea.  I like that!  I could use that towards the end when my goal
is something to sit on that doesn't move!  A board that list your time
in & time out is good too.  It tells you where in the ride you are,
reminds you that it is time to get going, and the crews can monitor
progress of the other riders.  Once I stuff that rider's card back in
the bag, I hate to get it out again.  I invariably set it down & have to
search frantically for it.  I stick to a routine:  I hand it to
vet/timer, then it goes in it's bag.  Period!

> 3. Somehow identifying first time riders so ride personnel
> can be sure to offer assistance or help with making sure
> they know cut-off times, etc....Perhaps just a mark under
> the number on the horse's rear end.

N for Newbie or Novice?  I think that I'd make this one optional :-)

> Yes, we have first timer meetings after the riders meeting
> but even still folks make mistakes that are due to simple
> ignorance

Sometimes it is information overload.  The trail boss tells you about
every turn & chuck hole for 50 miles, the vet chatters for a while, they
discuss trail markings, lots of folks ask technical questions that you
don't understand...  It is just too much for a new person to absorb.

We put on a few "clinics" in the past where we did simulated vet checks,
different types of holds, how to assess your horse's physical condition,
P&R taking, etc.  We had a vet & an endurance rider speak to the group.
It was very well attended.  Then folks did a mock 12 mile ride with a
check in, one midpoint vet check, and a vet out to practice.  They had a
blast.  If they wanted to present for "Best Conditioned", they could
come back & discuss the procedure & try running through for their peace
of mind.  Maybe somebody could do this early on the day of check in
(minus the 12 mile practice ride) if there was interest.

I like seeing a riders map that shows a graph of significant elevation
changes as a function of distance.  It helps riders (new & old) to plan
their efforts.  A local saying, well there's  climb 5 miles before the
finish may mean "There's a rolling hill" or "There's a HECK of a
mountain."  I'd ride the two very differently.  Or getting "There's a
climb in the first half" - not very informative if it is a 3000 ft climb
into the vet check.

Perhaps a copy of the rule book at the ride secretary's desk under a
large sign saying "Rule Book".  Folks could look up areas that they have
questions about.

Another possibility is a buddy system w/ an experienced rider.  Those
new folks so inclined can team up with an experienced person (who has
volunteered) to talk about the upcoming events.  (Give hints, like put
your crew stuff near the finish, not at the trailer a 1/2 mile away)
Not necessarily to ride with them, but to give them the benefit of
experience the evening before.  I certainly wouldn't mind doing that.

Linda Flemmer
Rambling on as usual.