how to make rides more rider friendly?

After the Big South Fork ride (or pull in my case <g>), I
was sitting around the camp with several other riders and we
started wondering what we could be done at SE rides (or any
rides for that matter) to make things a little less
intimidating/confusing for newer riders.

I say newer riders instead of first time riders
intentionally - just because you've been to one ride does
not mean things are totally clear to you :-).

Where this came from is how confusing the whole vet
procedure can be to the un-initiated ....Let's face it you
can read about a gate into a hold all day long and still not
have a clue what that really means when you come in off your
first loop where your horse is either tired or has acted
more bizarre than you've ever imagined, you have to find
that *&%& vet card, and you're a little dazed

We came up with things like:

1. Making sure all ride personnel are easily identifiable
(shirt, bandana, cap, something) as often ride personnel
look no different than the rest of us. Riders will at least
be able to see who they should ask if they are confused.

2. Creating a simple flow chart laminated poster with each
person/station labeled and where you go from there (i.e.,
in-timer (you have 30 minutes to get to the next step - but
want to get there as quickly as you can)-->P/R-->vet (hold
time clock is ticking now)-->out timer (or make sure out
time is written on card)-->go rest.) Well...you get the
picture. Anyway, this could be posted in a prominent
place(s) around the check so newcomers could easily see
where they are and where to go next and how much time they
have to get there.

3. Somehow identifying first time riders so ride personnel
can be sure to offer assistance or help with making sure
they know cut-off times, etc....Perhaps just a mark under
the number on the horse's rear end.

Yes, we have first timer meetings after the riders meeting
but even still folks make mistakes that are due to simple
ignorance (in the truest sense of that word) of rules many
of us take for granted. Now, we can't eliminate that nor can
we hold everyone's hand but maybe we can make sure folks
feel good about their experience and want to come back.

I also know that alot of this is up to each RM and am not
looking anything we can mandate for RM - just ways to
improve our rides.

Suggestions? Comments?

Tina - who was confused for her first several rides <g>
Tony - always confused
hickst@nichols.com