Re: Race against...yourself...

I think that this is just one element of the sport - but
there is also room for those (I am including myself in this
group) who go to a ride sometimes to ride competitively -
which to me means, if everything falls into place, a top ten
finish.

There is nothing wrong with those that consistenly race -
after all there is a finish line and those that cross it
first are in front of those that cross it last. You
(generically speaking) (or I the vast majority of the time)
may choose to complete most of our rides but that doesn't
mean anyone else shouldn't try to do something different.
And that doesn't make them cut-throat in my mind.

We are a competitive culture - look at kids staring t-ball,
football, and soccer at age 5 - to think people will pay to
enter an event with a finish line, placings, and prizes and
*not* race is looking thru rose colored glasses I think.

There is lots of comradarie out there - I experienced a ton
of it this weekend - from hooking up with someone who
pre-dates the Tevis(talk about a walking, talking history
book of the sport) to getting an e-boot on the trail - but
that doesn't mean you can expect everyone to go down the
trail holding hands and handing out flowers <g>.

There's room for all of us - and many of us change from ride
to ride. I see many riders - myself included at times - who
may top ten one ride and then complete lower middle of the
pack next ride for a variety of reasons.

And that's the beauty of this sport in my mind.

Tina
hickst@nichols.com