Race against...yourself...

Just catching up on weeks of digests...when do you people ever ride?!
<g>

This debate with weight and horses, riding LD's and racing, $10.00
measely bucks extra creating havoc...over and over again I am thinking
to myself...who are these people racing?

I thought, and correct me if I'm wrong, that endurance was about racing
yourself, improving on your personal best, that to finish is to win....

So, if I'm racing against my personal best, well, then what I weight on
that same horse doesn't really matter...right?

And if I'm racing against myself, than placement in a 50 or an LD
doesn't really matter, does it?

Sure, there are always some cut-throat racers out there, at all levels,
but the MAJORITY are racing their personal best and happy with a horse
in good condition, fit to continue.....I don't think we hear enough from
these type of riders, they just don't stress about the issues that seem
to cause havoc on ridecamp.

Hey, maybe we should get rid of top ten period, and change it to top
best conditions...then the riders who believe the true endurance
philosophy will appear...

I'm a member of AERC, first time this year, no discounts or incentives
given.  Because of SADDLE problems I'm not doing any 50's, although the
horse is able.  Now, I'm in the hole moneywise, but I get a cool
magazine and I support the sport.   I'm not whining either, and I don't
think the majority of riders out there would whine about $10 more for
not being a member.  Why do we assume they would?  Just what is the big
deal?

These recent posts reveal to me we seem to be losing sight of what this
sport is suppose to be about.

You, your horse, how you've conditioned and cared for your horse, your
personal best....not what everyone else is doing......

Just my .02cents......
Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab)
Pt.Reyes, CA