Re: BSF Results?

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998 00:26:27 -0500 luv2ride@peop.tds.net writes:
>Anyone going to post the results of the Big South Fork ride?

I can tell ya what I know.

The weather was great.  Got a little hot (actually maybe in the
90's...with humidity...I am getting casual about that stuff).  It's been
really dry there and the trail was the sandiest I've ever seen it.
Really loose sand in spots.

They rerouted the trail again (no two years are the same) and this time
it started out with a 26 miles loop!  UG!  Word is they're gearing up to
change to a multi-day.  Well, that 26 mile loop felt like "day one" to
me.  I like Dr. Otis Schmitt's comment before the ride.  I asked him if
he was "giving them all the once over" as he watched the horses warm up.
He said, "I ain't gonna worry about it.  26 miles without a check, you're
all gonna be fine or dead".

47 horses started the 50 and about 32? started the LD.  The trail was
gorgeous, the river was incredible as usual.  The horses seemed to spread
out quickly and no real "runaway freight trains".

I noticed an absence of "go for the win" people there...probably due to
the Cosequin being next week.  It wasn't very clear who'd try to win
it...lots of us "rack up the miles" folks around though.

I had my friend, Dawn Saunders from Scotland with me and we had a great
ride.  Maybe we can get her to comment on some of the differences...most
noticeably, they don't have yellow jackets.  I actually enjoyed the
yellowjackets since this is the first ride I've ever been to that had pie
plates that read, "Yellow Jackets Ahead".  That was the cue to "let it
rip" and hit a wide open gallop.  Unfortunately, one of those was within
the first 1/2 mile and Kaboot thought I'd FINALLY come around to his way
of thinking on the pacing thing.  Took a mile or so of "totally ticked
off pulled down horse" before we went back to MY strategy.

The top 10 had several people that I just didn't know in it.  Can't think
of anyone really who is in the Southeast points race.  Karen Pruitt, who
has one of our better horses "Gentleman Jack" had trouble just a couple
of miles from the finish...maybe an "endurance colic".  Really sad
because she's one of those conciencious riders that you feel good about
winning.  Seems he's really hard to get electrolytes down and was just
way low.  He looked great the next morning.

There were only a couple of pulls in the 50.  Betsy Gilman & Dixie Bask
were riding with me at the start and she pulled a shoe just a couple of
miles out.  The easy boot was a little large, and since it was a 26 mile
loop, she just turned back to camp.  I think Karen might have been the
only other one.  All pulls were "rider option".

My Scottish friend had never given electrolytes.  She knows how now.
Lookout all you sneaky Euro-Enduro lurkers...she's gonna be heaving them
down Ali...:-)  She turned out to be a realy trooper and we've all
learned some new terms...like "Where's the Porto-Loo?"

  Her biggest problems came from their driving on the left side of the
road over there.  There were lots of day riders and every time we met
them she kept going to the left side of the trail.  "Right side Dawn!
Right side!"  Several near misses there.  Also they mark trail on the
left, so had to watch her on that....and who'd have thought she'd trot
her horse out on her left?

We taught her that it's usually the third person in line who gets stung,
but she wasn't experienced enough to manage to stay out of that third
slot.  :-)  "BEES!!! RUN!!!"  She was a bit overwhelmed by the size of
American rigs, but not envious...said they wouldn't be able to go down
their roads.  Unfortunately for her, she'd hooked up with the last of the
2 horse trailer hold outs...and had to sleep in a tent...but she finished
in fine form and had a great time...we're already talking "next time".

It was a great ride, one I always love to go to.  Seemed like everyone
had a good time.  I was 24 out of 47...once more proving that NOBODY is
more "Middle of the Pack" than I am.

Angie McGhee & Kaboot  (Bees mom!  Really!!  Lets RUN!!!)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]