started to young

All my families ranch horses (& I have followed the same practice over the
years) were started in the late summer or early fall of their 2 yo old
year.  We put about 90 days on them of basic slow work and then turned them
out till the summer of their 3yo year.  Some of them were being shown as
junior horses that year but either way they learned their leads etc., basic
stuff, (usually we had them driving as 2 yo olds and for sure as 3 yo.
Their 4th year was often a bust to some extent as that was the teen age
years, particularly the mares.  We just continued the long school schooling
if we could stand it (joke, joke) and then as 5 yo they were ready to begin
serious work.  It was Dad's belief that light work helped their bone (bones
are made for stress) to settle and that this kind of program really helped
their minds.  Gave them time to think about what they had learned.  These
guys were always so much better when we picked them up after the lay offs.
If your prospect passes a pre-purchase for knees, hock, stifle he's
probably ok.  He can sure break down when started as a 5 yo if
pre-disposed.  If his mind is sound, quiet, etc. then probably he was no
*jammed* and stressed a lot mentally.  That could be more of a problem if
to much was expected of him to soon.

Best laid plans....guess what I'm starting in my barn this fall...a long
5yo!  He's had lots of ponying, driving and packed a saddle all over the
place.  I just never got around to getting on him!  All this in fits and
starts and he's fine but I will take it very easy re:  riding 'cause he
hasn't packed any weight at all yet.  Not so good in my opinion.  Just
'cause he's 5 doesn't mean he doesn't need the base.

Good luck.
Sharon
West Region