Re: 1999 Rule Change Proposal

Linda Flemmer writes

> What about time frames for the short rides?  A lot of "pleasure riders" who are
> being exposed to the sport in non-sanctioned distances DO NOT go fast.  They may
> take the entire day to mosey along and see how the ride is organized for the LD
> and Endurance.  (Trail marking, vet checks, feeling of riding actual, measured
> miles)  How would you like to greet a potential future endurance rider with, "I'm
> sorry, but you are overtime."?  Just a bit of a turn off.

Good point Linda - Plus if fun or novice rides became LD rides, mangagers
could not set a minimum time.  Under fun or novice rides they have the
freedom to do that.  There is already racing in LD rides - do we want to
to set the stage for 10-15 mile rides to go this way?  I think the rule
could really backfire on the stated intent of making sure we don't have
un-controlled races at shorter distances - 1 mandatory vet check during
the ride is not enough to prevent racing.

Teresa