Re: 1999 Rule Change Proposal

>I like the idea (was it your ride, Heidi?) that allows the riders to
>sign up for LD and pull at the mid point for a "pleasure" completion.
>It solves the bigger problem without redefining what AERC stands for

I think you may be replying to Linda Parrish's earlier post. TERA/Central
Region has been doing this for some time..  I have to say I was one that
put up quite a fuss, saying it wouldn't' work, would cost entry fees 'cause
people wouldn't come ... etc...

It has worked *very* well, and stood the test of time.  If I remember, some
rides have been doing this as long as 8 years or more.

The LD Rider is allowed, on the entry form, to set a Personal Goal.  if
they complete that number of miles. they receive ride completion.  They
understand that the official record will go to AERC as DNF, no one at any
of my rides ever had a problem with that.  Many times, they do go back out
to complete a 25, more than they ever thought possible.  As another bonus,
the RM collects the same entry as the 25, usually more than what you would
have charged for a 10 or 15, not much more for a 25, but it adds up if you
have many entered that way.  Also, allows all the riders to be entered in
the sanctioned event and covered under insurance.

Becky Huffman
AERC #6826
RM: Cowtown Express '89 - Cleburne Clop '99 +