great debates

I have to laugh here. When I first joined this organization, the Ridgeway
Trot....CRI was being harshly criticised.  I remember the debate about it
in EN,. as there was no ridecamp then:-)./
now, I went to a ride not too long ago where no CRI was performed and many
people complained!!:-))  I thought that was funny.  the way we change our
minds once something gets going and we get used to it.

I powerlift also. My first meet last year, I was not a member of the
organization. I had to pay the $25.00 to become a member then and there.
It was not just an extra fee, but the whole amount. You know what I got
for my $25.00?  a hand written card. No magazine to see my name or amount
of weight I had lifted. No welcome to our club, no renewal notice.  But
for one meet, I had to pay my entry of $45.00 plus the $25.00 membership
fee.  Good thing I only drove 30 miles from home so I didn't have a lot of
gas or a hotel room.

My point?  Most sports are expensive if you really look at it. I plan to
show my dogs this fall.  I will pay $15.00 per dog per class. I have 4
that I would like to show in conformation.  I also am getting into weight
pull with them.  That will be another (at least) $15.00 per dog per weight
class.  Hmmm....at 4 dogs per class that adds up.  Oh yeah, I have to be a
member in good standing of the National dog club, or pay my dues when I
get there.  I also have to have a show/pull ID card on each dog.  that's I
think $3.00 per dog and pay for drug testing if they choose to test my
dogs.  Hmm.....
I will miss an endurance ride that day.  Since my mare is not yet ready
for open, she is doing LD.  That will mean that I could pay 35.00 entry
fee for the ride...If I show 2 dogs, that's that.

I know that if you show IAHA, you pay exorbitant fees and get what in
exchange?  points, placings, etc.  what if you only show 1 or 2 times per
year?  Is it worth it?

My biggest pet peeve with AERC is the dues I haVe to pay as a single
membership and it's the same year after year. . no discount for me already
being a member.  but that's ok. I will keep paying it. even years when I
didn't ride but once like last year.

As a steady worker at many rides, I have taken up lots of money and entry
fees.  I have rarely heard anyone complain about the cost of the fees if
the 10.00 is included.  Mostly, I hear them say...."is that all?"
I guess most of them come from other equine events and they think it's
pretty cheap.  How much is it to enter a 3 day event now?  can you enter
the day of the event like we usually can?  do you still get your money
back if you don't vet out or if you have a family emergency?  most of the
time in teh SE, you will get all but a few dollars refunded and sometimes
all of it will come back to you.

Just points to ponder.

and as to the having the LD ride on Sun. I couldnt do that if I wanted to.
I have to get up and get home to tend to stuff that I didn't get to do on
Sat. Plus, as a ride manager, that takes a whole bunch of new volunteers
and paying the vet for another day, etc.  IN the SE, we have a mandantory
2 vet rule. So you would have to pay for two vets for two days...that's
not very good financially.  I don't know many folks who could pull off the
ride on Sun, plus all the clean up and such that usually gets done on Sun
after everyone pulls out.

Sorry this got so long.  Thanks for listening.

**If anyone wants to flame, please do so privately.  I have no problems
with flames, but it's rude to make everyone else read it!
thanks for your time.

Samm C. Bartee-#9432
with
B Jets War Eagle--Ara-App