Spanish mustangs and endurance

Hi All!
	This is just to remind you that there are non-BLM mustangs, some of which
have done well in endurance and competitive trail.  Bazy Tankersley
(Al-Marah Arabians)is presently developing a Curly (i.e. mustang)/Arab
cross.  There are 2 registries for the pure-bred Spanish Mustangs, one for
the American Indian Horse and one or more for the Spanish Barb.  These are
all basically the same horse, the North American version of the criollo.
	I own a 3 yo gelding that I'm just starting.  He is 3-4 generations away
from "wild."  Just as endurance is among the most carefully vetted of horse
sports, I believe that these horses are among the most carefully bred of
breeds.  There is still quite a bit of variation, especially in color (Dino
is a roan, part red, part blue, also a sabino paint with a squaw tail!)as
well as size and body build.  They are reknowned for their durability, i.e.
endurance(!), determination to please and orientation to people (Dino
follows be around like a puppy dog!).  If Dino is typical, training is
nothing more than showing him once what is wanted.  I don't think these
horses will ever match the arabs for speed, which may be one reason why
Bazy is crossing them with arabs, but for long distance and multi-day rides
I believe they will excell.  (By the way, Dino looks at food and gets fat.)
	Next week I'm going to the American Indian Horse National Show in
Corsicana, TX and meeting with breeder who has done lots of Competitive
Trail on her horses.  I'll report what I see.
	If anyone is interested, email me and I'll send you contact names for the
registries.  (Most breeders are in Texas/Oklahoma, the southeast, midwest,
Wyoming, South Dakota (where Dino comes from), Arizona and New Mexico.
Kiger Mustangs are the best known but you can get the same quality and type
for a whole bunch less money from any one of many other breeders.  I do
have to say that there are almost none older than 3 available because
people just don't sell them!  But unlike the experiences people have
reported with BLM mustangs, these horses arrive wanting to be your friend!
	OK, enough.  Obviously I'm prejudiced!
Happy trails,
Laney