Re: low heels

Hal has had low heels and under run heels since we got him about three
years ago now. he had short heels before we got him for two or three
years before then that we know of. Had wedge pads and so forth. In
April is lost his shoes in a pretty bad way, so I pulled his shoes and
gave him a sabatical. I've been trimming him myself since then about
once every two weeks. The so called 4 point trim appears to have
worked for him. All four feet now look normal and he'll get some egg
bar shoes at the end of this month. Meanwhile we've been doing very
short rides less than 10 miles with easyboots.

No amount of biotin or nutritional changes helped this guy. He has
been on biotin supplements since we got him. He has the softest feet
of all three of our horses. The hoof knife cuts his about three times
easier than the other two.

It's been a long wait but worth it.

---guest@endurance.net wrote:

> PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO GUEST@ENDURANCE.NET!!!
> You must post replies to the actual sender listed below.
>
> From: Paula Stich
> Email: paulastk@aol.com
>
> I haven't been at this sport very long so I'm just getting started
with the horse I already had, A Thb. gelding with very puny low heeled
hooves.  I had shoes on him until recently(they wouldn't stay on him)
and the farrier said he'd be lame.  Well he's not but he's very tender
footed and I am hesitant to condition him on the trail until he grows
some hoof.  Without buying ANOTHER horse, is it possible to get this
horse a heel?  Are some horses just proned to not grow any heel?
Seems like around Tallahassee area there are alot of horses without
any subtantial heels on them, we do have dry weather for now but its
usually wet and dry, and that's the reason my farrier says he can't
keep the shoes on.  I have also tried the easy boots but they look to
tight on the bulbs and we train in alot of sand.  Help.  I don't want
to give up the sport so soon for lack of a heel!

> Thanks
> Paula and Cosmos (ouch!)

==
Nicco Murphy - Poway, San Diego, CA