Re: 1999 LD Rules

Karen Steenhof wrote:
> In our area, where we are lucky to get
> 20 riders on a 50-miler, ride managers help pay expenses by offering 10-15
> mile non-competitive trail rides.  These rides usually are on one of the
> shorter endurance loops and cost about $10 to enter.  They are an
> opportunity for folks who are too timid to try even a 25-miler to learn
> about the sport.
>
> Karen Steenhof

Many moons ago we offered 10-15 mile pleasure rides along with our
sanctioned LD & endurance distances. Then we discussed this with our
insurance company and decided a better solution had to be found. Texas
Endurance Riders Association, our regional group that sponsors several
of our rides, solved (for this area anyway) this problem by offering a
sanctioned LD ride along with our endurance ride(s). This distance is
offered to all who don't think they can do the 50 or above mileage. We
state on the brochure that you can enter the 25, do one loop and receive
a "ride" completion, but if you feel that you can go further after
passing your vet check, then by all means, go for the finish! It has
pleasantly surprised innumerable riders that they and their horse can
survive this distance. Invariably, we see them at other rides down the
trails and most have joined AERC.

Linda Parrish
Kennard, TX