Re: 1999 Rule Change Proposal

> Our membership fee is relatively high,
> and the ride fee is relatively high, so I'm not sure about how the non member
> fee on LD rides would effect participation by new people. It would not effect
> me personally either way, but remember: New people to this sport is what will
> keep it alive and available for generations to come. Without new people, it
> will die with us.

I was a "new people" last year. :)  Lakota and I did our first LD last
November at Long Leaf. I pre-registered and paid the $10 non-member fee,
because the application form didn't clearly state that this fee wasn't due
for LD riders, and it honestly never occurred to me that I wouldn't have
to pay the fee.  The LD was conducted over the same course, marked the
same way, with the same campsite, same meals furnished, same vets doing
just as many checks-per-mile for us as for the 50s and 100s, and AERC was
going to keep track of miles completed for me and Lakota....

This was an AERC ride, but I wasn't a member, so I paid the non-member fee
-- and was very surprised at check-in when they gave me $10 back in cash.
It never occurred to me that I didn't owe the non-member fee just because
I was riding a shorter distance, when all other aspects of the ride were
identical.  I even got the same completion award as the 50s!

Of course, I'm only one person and many would say I'm a special case <BG>
but to me, it makes perfect sense for the non-member fee to apply to all
riders, regardless of distance.  The AERC makes it all happen in the first
place, right?  AERC sanctioning assures me that certain minimum standards
of fairness and safety for me and my horse will apply.  That assurance,
that peace of mind, is worth $10.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310