low heels

From: Paula Stich
Email: paulastk@aol.com

I haven't been at this sport very long so I'm just getting started with the horse I already had, A Thb. gelding with very puny low heeled hooves.  I had shoes on him until recently(they wouldn't stay on him) and the farrier said he'd be lame.  Well he's not but he's very tender footed and I am hesitant to condition him on the trail until he grows some hoof.  Without buying ANOTHER horse, is it possible to get this horse a heel?  Are some horses just proned to not grow any heel?  Seems like around Tallahassee area there are alot of horses without any subtantial heels on them, we do have dry weather for now but its usually wet and dry, and that's the reason my farrier says he can't keep the shoes on.  I have also tried the easy boots but they look to tight on the bulbs and we train in alot of sand.  Help.  I don't want to give up the sport so soon for lack of a heel!

Thanks
Paula and Cosmos (ouch!)