Re: low heels

Paula,

     Your horse may be experiencing a lack of something  he needs in the way
of nutrition.  He may also be suffering from some anomoly in the environment
in your area.  For instance, here in the Volusia County area, it is known by
most that we have a Selenium deficiency in the soil here.  You can have things
like this tested by your vet with a blood test.  Many people in our area have
found that their horses, particularly endurance horses, benefit from extra
Vitamin E w. Selenium in their diet.  This can be added as a supplement.
Your horse may also need something as simple as biotin added to promote
healthy hoof growth.  The local hay we have available is sometimes low in
calcium which can also affect the hooves.  Many Florida horses in my opinion
suffer from a calcium deficiency.
     You may also check to make sure your farrier is trimming your horse in
a "four-point" method which allows for a longer heel by shortening and straightening
the toe (I'm not a farrier and I'm probably not explaining this right)  but the bottom
line is to take pressure off the heel, the sole and the hocks.
     E-mail me privately if you want to discuss the nutrition issue further.  I've
had some real learning experiences since moving from the NE to the SE.
                                                  Linda (AVP)