Re: Thinking of trying endurance riding

> As I mentioned, my horse has done just about everything, but to be honest he
> has a fairly glaring flaw.  His working/extended trot is awful.   His working trot can
> leave anyone's jaw aching from the jarring and he really has to be pushed
> constantly to stay at speed, even lunging or loose in a large round pen.  He
> has an awesome jog-trot from his western pleasure days, easy to ride and he
> can go forever, but a good free-striding trot he does not have.

I am NOT a top ten rider, but I think you might be overestimating the
speed necessary to complete an endurance ride.  A steady, comfy jog may
not get you top ten, but it'll get you home in plenty of time.

I rode last weekend at Norco (as I have in the past many times at other
rides) in the general vicinity of Paul Critchfield and his horses always
seem to have two good gaits---a nice, free walk and an easy consistent
jog-trot that just putters down the trail but really eats up the miles.
Cato is the opposite, he has a good walk and a really big working trot,
but rarely will jog for me---so we change gears alot.  Paul may only
have one or two speeds, but they're consistent, efficient and
comfortable and he sure has alot of miles and completions to show that
it works.  So I'd say work with what you have, be grateful for a nice
jog and use your horse's canter when you feel you need to make up a
little time or when you just can't resist some nice footing on a good
trail.

Good luck!

Susan G