Re: Looking For a Good Horse

Lauren,
 couldn't agree more. Pretty may be as pretty does, but an unattractive horse
to ME is most often an ugly horse because he or she is out of balance in some
way, which to me is not a good indicator of quality and ability. I like to see
a balance and a symmetry - these things tell me that there is potential there.
Although I don't ride the head and am not a head hunter, I do expect an
Arabian to sport soem type. Why look at an ugly athlete if you can look at a
lovely athete? You have to like what you see in your barn each day.

$1500 IS a steal for a horse of any real quality in decent condition. It costs
me over $2000 to bring a foal to the age of 2, and of course that does not
take into account the VALUE of time spent training and caring for this foal.
To have someone expect to get that foal - exceptionally well-bred and of good
personal quality - for $1500 is an insult. A buyer may as well just look a
seller straight in the eye and say "your time and talent aren't worth a plug
nickel, and I will just go find another cheap foal and spend a couple thousand
having it TRAINED". DUH! I can'tell you how many badly trained horses people
have either shown me or bragged on who were average individuals, and/or so
poorly mannered or trained that you wouldn't catch me DEAD on these bad
actors. Why? Because they "saved" money and "trained" their horse themselves!
You know, this training is not an event - it is a process, and a time-
consu,ing labor of love. It certainly does not make money for those of us who
choose to do it right. When we sell a young prospect, this prospect is ready
to finish - NOT break - at the next season. These young horses do everything
quietly and kindly - lunge, clip, trailer, tie, pony, stand for the vet and
the farrier, and STAY OUT OF MY SPACE. How's THAT for the money?

So Lauren, I agree - $1500 is not only a steal, it is really is an insult
afetr all that work. Oh don't forge the stud fee, registration fees, etc. When
someone asks why the horse costs more because of a pedigree, I answer. "
because when you understand the LINES, and you truly appreciate the
INDIVIDUAL, there is a level of consistency in both genetics(reproduction) and
physical predictability(performance) that make that horse a goo dinvestment of
time, trouble and hay. In other words, a well-bred halter champ is probably
not a great bet for an open jumper...or an endurance horse.

Okay now that said, Lauren, are you going to Manzanita?
Sandy
:)