Re: Looking For a Good Horse

In a message dated 98-09-09 01:58:50 EDT, 4horn@home.com writes:

<< I, by no means intend to offend Dabney (as she is a very nice person and
 excellent rider), but isn't $1500 for a conditioned, 100 miler prospect
 pretty inexpensive? I know lots of people who buy inexpensive horses and
 put all the training and conditioning on and HOPE to have a good
 endurance horse. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

We try to raise horses that have the potential to be 100 mile winners and FEI
hopefuls.  Our top weanlings start at $1500, although in some instances I
might sell one as old as two for that.  I recently got $3000 for an unstarted
coming 4-year-old just going to the trainer's that is an FEI hopeful.  If we
were to keep our really good geldings long enough to be started 100-mile
prospects, you'd better believe we would ask more--but so far people have
purchased our young geldings long before that stage.  We try to keep track of
similarly bred quality geldings in our area so that we can refer those who
want older ones to other people since ours never seem to stay unpurchased that
long.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)