Re: Strongid C

<< over a million horses are probably on this stuff.  either pellets or
 paste. >>

Roger, I'm glad you have luck with Strongid C.  Certainly not all endurance
horses on it get sick.  However,  of the over a million horses on the stuff,
only a few thousand are endurance horses.  I have seen NO problems in non-
endurance horses, nor have I heard of any in talking personally to hundreds of
other veterinarians.  However, if one counts the horses I have personally
encountered as well as those observed by other veterinarians with whom I have
personally conversed or corresponded, one can count up somewhere in the
neighborhood of 30 to 50 horses that have had either anterior enteritis or
anemia shortly after starting on the product, and have improved to normal
levels (CBC's and performance) when the product has been withdrawn.  This does
not constitute any sort of scientific proof, but if most companies saw a
reaction rate of 30 to 50 per two or three thousand in any other drug in a
particular class of horses,  there would be warning labels plastered all over
it.  We have an adverse reaction rate in something like 5 per 1000 to E-Se and
Schering plasters warning labels all over the bottle!  I'm sure my numbers for
Strongid C usage are not precise as no one has queried how many endurance
horses are on it, but I ask riders in my area if they use it, and very few
ever did, so I have a gut feeling that my numbers err toward the generous as
to how many even use the stuff.  Obviously, in your case, the risk of worm
load seems to outweigh the risk of using the product, and isn't that the
incentive to use ANY product?

Heidi