Re: Aussie Saddle Help

Naztari@aol.com wrote:

> Here it is. My saddle (brand unknown) fit just fine until this summer. No dry
> spots, sore back or any problems. . Then my horse developed dry spots near the
> withers.

Has he developed more shoulder muscles & thickened around the withers from your
training?  I'm suspecting that he has.  Stand on something tall (in the loft, back
of pick up, etc.) and look at his back.

> I added a thin
> withers pad. No help. I changed to a standard western pad. No help. I added a
> fairly thick neoprene like rubber pad.

The saddle has simply gotten too tight in that one area.  The pressure causes
decreased circulation to the area.  In response to the injury the area swells (dry
spot & "heat bumps").  These can progress to open sores, or may be a chronic
problem that shows up as white hairs over time.  White hairs show up in a
subsequent coat as the hair grows in white, so they are not an inidcator of
immediate damage.

"Gee, the saddle is so tight it caused dry spots, so I put a thicker pad on"  is
something I hear a lot of.  Think of it like this.  "Gee, my shoes are too tight.
I'll put on 2 pairs of extra thick socks to pad my feet.  Gee, the shoes are still
too tight!"

>  I have tried
> to move the padding around in the saddle panels with an awl and have had a
> slight improvement.

If you are making progress this, and you still have padding to "shuffle" around,
try this some more.  IF the padding is rearranged and there is still a problem,
the tree is just too narrow.

> Oh, don't suggest that I not use an Aussie style saddle.

There are different width trees in Aussie saddles.  Also, there are endurance
saddles out there made with thigh blocks that do the same thing as your Poleys.
Get a good saddle fitter to help you if you need to shop for a new saddle.  It
will save you a lot of heart ache.

> I love that saddle.

The real question is, can you work with this saddle so that the horse loves it?
If you can't, your partner suffers.  I'd give rearranging the stuffing a good
shot.  If it doesn't work, get a wider tree.  Ditch the thick pads as it is making
the problem worse.  Best of luck!  I hope you don't need to start The Great Saddle
Hunt!

Linda Flemmer