Re: Strongid responses

I don't know that I have elaborated on ridecamp as to my thoughts as to why
Strongid C may affect endurance horses, although I have individually to some
of you who have asked.  It has been generally noted among many people who
recommend Strongid C that even horses without parasites tend to "bloom" when
on the product and gain weight.  As the product is not significantly absorbed
by the horse, I am led to hypothesize that this effect is due to some change
within the GI tract itself, perhaps due to some change in the gut flora.  I
would suspect that if this is true, perhaps this change is deleterious to how
at least some endurance horses digest feed.  One could possibly also explain
the anemias this way, too, since the bacteria in the gut manufacture many of
the vitamins that the horse relies on.  However, I still can't help but
believe that there is more than a coincidence in this correlation, as anterior
enteritis is a relatively rare form of colic, and virtually every case I have
seen, save one, has been in an endurance horse on Strongid C.  I have compared
notes with several other ride veterinarians, and they have noted this problem,
too.  And Nicco, I agree that your horse's anemia was likely related to the
hypothyroidism rather than Strongid C, but don't forget that the many others I
have seen were NOT hypothyroid, nor did we identify ANY other medical problem.
None were anemic prior to the best of our knowledge, and all cleared up upon
removal of the Strongid C from their diets.  Again, I have NOT seen anemias in
non-endurance horses on this product, and I know a lot of breeders that use it
in their youngsters and sometimes in their broodmares.

Regarding the comment that the company would not knowingly market a product
that was harmful, I agree, but remember that the product was never tested in
endurance horses, nor indeed are most products.

Heidi Smith, DVM